18.2… and we’ve got Burpees, Dumbbells, and Barbells! There are 2 parts to this week’s workout.
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps for time of:
Men use 50-lb. dumbbells
Time cap: 12 minutes to complete 18.2 AND 18.2a
Rx’d: (Ages 16-54) Men use 50-lb. dumbbell. Women use 35-lb. dumbbell
Scaled: (Ages 16-54) Men use 35-lb. dumbbells, stepping burpees allowed Women use 20-lb. dumbbells, stepping burpees allowed
We switched up the heat sign up sheets. Make sure to visit the new link below to reserve your heat1
There are 2 parts to this workout. Something fast and something heavy.
Something Fast (18.2)
- This first part is a sprint. Make sure to warm up well by getting your heart rate up with a combo of some rowing and squats. You don’t want to go into this cold and have your HR spike in the first minute of the workout.
- Secondly, this workout starts super easy and gets progressively harder as you go. Pay attention to form and technique, specifically for the squats. Keep a good rack position. If possible, allow the dumbbells to rest on your shoulders during the longer sets
- Make sure to know the movement standards!
Something heavy (18.2.A)
- During your warm up, load the barbell with a heavy weight you know you can hit automatically, ten times out of ten. Once you get to the barbell 1RM attempt, you will be plenty warmed up. So you’ll want to hit a heavy attempt, but something you know you can hit.
- This is a 1RM test. But remember that this is following a sprint workout! We all know that a state of exhaustion can lead to a breakdown in form. Pay close attention to form and have a game plan for what weights you’ll want to attempt. And again, push yourself, but don’t be dumb and attempt 115% of your previous 1RM!
Thanks to everyone who stepped up and judged a workout or 4 last week (Ali)! We’re gonna need a lot of the same this week. Remember, when judging, you’re responsible for ensuring correct movement standards AND keeping count. Don’t be afraid to dish out a “No Rep!” if your athlete is not hitting the standards! We’ll all be better and stronger for it!
Lastly, remember to order your 2018 Open Tee/Tank! Orders close soon!! Open tees this year come in your choice of colors. Buy one, or both!
(And here’s a picture of Chuck Norris in Jorts.)